With the help of the Greybeards, I started gathering shouts all over Skyrim. Some were easily acquired from dragon lairs, while others were hidden deeper in various dungeons, caves and ruins. After a while, I started getting upgrades instead of new words, so I decided to ask the help of the almighty Google.
I quickly found a list of all the shouts and their locations, but I’ve also learned one other thing, which I should have known already. Four of the twenty shouts that exist in the game can only be learned throughout the main quest line. Now, I had learned twelve shouts in total by now, so I continued to learn the remaining four I still could. Once that was done, though, I had to tackle the main story on my second character. What follows is a list of all the shouts and their locations. I’ll put the words I learned and/or consider faster to get to in bold.
- Animal Allegiance – Ancient’s Ascent, Angarvunde, Ysgramor’s Tomb
- Aura Whisper – Northwind Summit, Valthume, Volunruud
- Become Ethereal – Ironbind Barrow, Lost Valley Redoubt, Ustengrav
- Call Dragon – taught during The Fallen
- Call of Valor – taught during Dragonslayer
- Clear Skies – taught during The Throat of the world
- Disarm – Eldersblood Peak. Silverdrift Lair, Snow Veil Sanctum
- Dismay – Dead Crone Rock, Lost Tongue Overlook, Shalidor’s Maze
- Dragonrend – taught during Alduin’s Bane
- Elemental Fury – Dragontooth Crater, Shriekwind Bastion, Statue to Meridia
- Fire Breath – Dustman’s Cairn, Sunderstone Gorge, during The Throat of the World
- Frost Breath – Bonestrewn Crest, Folgunthur, Skyborn Altar
- Ice Form – Frostmere Crypt, Mount Anthor, Saarthal
- Kyne’s Peace – Ragnvald, Rannveig’s Fast, Shroud Hearth Barrow
- Marked for Death – Autumnwatch Tower, Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, Forsaken Cave
- Slow Time – Hag’s End, Korvanjund, Labyrinthian
- Storm Call – Forelhost, High Gate Ruins, Skuldafn Temple
- Throw Voice – Shearpoint, all words together
- Unrelenting Force – Bleak Falls Barrow, during The Way of the Voice, during Jurgen Windcaller
- Whirlwind Sprint – Dead Men’s Respite, during The Way of the Voice, Volksygge
Additionally, it seems Dawnguard adds a few more shouts, so what follows is a list of those, in case it’s required for the future. Since I have yet to play the expansion, I can’t really say which ones are faster to get.
- Drain Vitality – Dimhollow Crypt, Forgotten Vale, Arcwind Point
- Soul Tear – taught by Durnehviir on each summon from Soul Cairn
- Summon Durnehviir – learned after Beyond Death
Luckily, the main quest line is relatively short, and I was already familiar with it, so it wasn’t to hard to get through. During all this, I discovered a small detail I liked. You see, on my last character, a mage, I’ve dealt with the civil war before dealing with the dragons. On this run, the war was still on when I asked to trap a dragon in Whiterun, so the jarl demanded a peace treaty to be arranged until I resolve the dragon threat. I actually had to invite Ulric and Tulius to High Hrothgar and mediate the negotiations. I guess I’ll be discovering new things about Skyrim for a long time.
In any case, after a few more quests, I’ve learned the remaining four shouts and also reached level 54 along the way, meaning I got the final two achievements. Or so I thought…
Apparently, in a recent update, they decided to add the Dawnguard achievements to Steam, meaning I will not see 100% next to Skyrim for a while longer. Since I won’t be getting Dawnguard any time soon, it might be quite a while indeed. However, I’ve finished the base game and cleared all of its achievements, so I’m considering this one 100% complete from now on.